Friday, December 14, 2012

E-reader, Nook, ipad stand tutorial


Mr. Ricochet gave me a Nook e-reader for Christmas a couple years ago, and it's really been the best gift ever.  I use it everyday, several times a day.  Besides reading, I check my email, facebook, pinterest, twitter, blog comments, etc. If I could edit blog posts from it, I'd be in heaven!  But realistically, I'd never get any sleep if I could blog in bed!


When I'm sitting at the kitchen table, I usually prop my Nook up against the napkin holder.  That gives a suitable angle from which to read and type.  Then I saw this baby on pinterest:

PodPillow for Kindle / Reading Device
[source]
This was found at DogNamedBanjo's esty store.
And then I saw this charm pack tutorial at Sewn Up by TeresaDownUnder.  It's basically the same shape, but it's a patchwork design.  The tute is lovely and well written, please check it out.

Thanks to TeresaDownUnder, I understood the basic concept on how to achieve the pyramid shape.  Here's my easy-peasy tutorial:

Start with an 11"x15" rectangle of fabric.
You can 2 such rectangles from a fat quarter.


Fold the rectangle in half, right-sides-together.
stitch along 2 sides, creating a small bag.

Open and arrange the bag as shown in this picture.
The longest side seam is in the center on the underside of the bag.

I folded down the top point until it reached the center of the square/diamond.
I pressed it down, opened it up, and stitched along the crease.

I trimmed the corners and turned the bag right-side-out.
I stuffed about 4 grocery bags into the cavity.

Then I added a cup of dried beans for weight.
TeresaDownUnder uses a cardboard insert and a weight.

I pushed all the stuffing about 3" away from the opening.

I folded over the end twice and pressed it down.

I sewed two rows of stitches, leaving a channel.
It's the perfect size for an unsharpened pencil.
Other e-reader bean bags fill a a slightly larger channel with polyfill.  

 I keep my nook in a book-like cover at all times.  
The e-reader stand works great with the cover on, or without.  
I am so pleased, and will most likely make a 100 more.  
They are so incredibly fast and easy to make. 
I'm finding I really like having my Nood in the stand, displaying a recipe while I cook.  Do you all enjoy your e-readers?  What's your brand?  What was the last book you read?  I just read the latest Spellman book by Lisa Lutz.

Happy crafting and big hugs from Montana,

12 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your new header on the blog, it's fantastic. Second, thanks for this tutorial, my kids gave me an iPad and I get the tutorial at the right time. Everything is really well explained, thank you very much! I love this project, I hope you do not mind I pinned for future reference
    I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
    Marisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!! Love the fabric you used.

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Artsy Corner. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father's Day gift coming up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the perfect octopus fabric I'm going to make one of these with! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this lovely Christmas present idea. No time for housework today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope to make several between now and Christmas. You make it look easy. Thanks for tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that you used plastic grocery bags! What a great reuse for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing your wonderful gifts of talents. may GOD BLESS you for your unselfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful project. My only question is: When you sewing the triangle at the bottom, did you sew it from the inside or the outside? If from the outside, did you tuck the point in? Just a little confusion on my part. Great directions and so easy to follow. I want to make some for my nieces and nephews for their tablets and cell phones. Thank you, Charlie Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sew it when the fabric is wrong side out. Then it will be tucked in.

      Delete
  10. Love these! Thanks so much. The pencil at the end is super!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! No-reply commentors don't get to read my witty replies, and that's just sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...